South Surrey Passive House
New City Design Award Winner 2014
It´s a green story by Marken Design + Consulting
The clients desire to have three generations live under one roof reduces their ecological footprint as a family such as this would normally be living in separate houses.
Completed in 2013, the design of this innovative Prefab Passive House building in South Surrey began in summer of 2012. Through close dialogue and interaction with the clients to incorporate their wish list items, the building developed through the later months of the year to a completed design and building permit ready project by Christmas.
The clients desire to have three generations live under one roof reduces their ecological footprint as a family such as this would normally be living in separate houses. There are a lot tangible and maybe not so tangible benefits to this. Less car journeys for the grandparents and grandchildren to meet and play/babysit, social benefit of having family close by to provide care saving health care costs/demand- especially with the generation that are advancing in age, to name but a few.
The project will also incorporate the following:
- Panelized Prefab Construction
- Rainwater collection for toilet flushing
- Low flow fixtures throughout
- Solar hot water and drain water heat recovery
- Native landscaping and permeable paving where necessary
- Flooring and millwork from sustainable sources
- Regionally sourced materials where possible and appropriate
- Use of recycled materials where possible
- No VOC to be used
We are happy to announce that this project has received two New City Desgin Awards 2014 from the City for Surrey, BC, Canada:
- Clean Energy City Excellence Award: outstanding & innovative contributions in energy efficiency & conservation
- NewCity Design Award of Merit: indiviual architectural excellence
Many thanks to the City of Surrey for their recognition and congratulations to our outstanding clients!